Thursday, October 13, 2011

Nation of Protest and Counter-protest-agogo

So the Occupy Wall Street (which has expanded to Occupy Everywhere) protest is still going on. I think people believed it would stop after the first few days. They were wrong. You'd think that politicians would realize this was a grand chance to talk to people and gain some voters. Yeah, that doesn't seem to be happening either. Instead, the movement, as movements are wont to do, is picking up haters.

People criticizing and making fun of any group of other people protesting is part of the process. When the Tea Party began their movement, people made fun of them.  Okay, mostly they made fun of their signs.  I honestly think no sign will ever be as classically misinformed and ill-advised than "Teabagging for Jesus."  A bit of advice, before you ever make your protest sign, please consult spellcheck and Urban Dictionary.

There are two things happening as commentary towards the Occupy Wall Street movement that are on my nerves. One of them is this little ditty going around Facebook where it shows some protester holding a sign saying they hate evil corporations, but are dressed all in labels, holding a cellphone, and eating McDonalds. The point, of course, is supposed to be that "clearly you don't hate the evil corps because everything you own is from one."

Everyone who is against the protesters sees this and laughs and feels all superior, but really, the picture proves nothing.  I don't think most people are against corporations in general, just the ones that do horrible things (like gut the environment and chain children to sewing machines, etc). No one is mad because you make money and are successful. People are just pissed off if you did that via the powers of evil.

As for all the clothes with labels and stuff, what were people supposed to do? Make their own clothing? Stop by Ye Local Amish Shoppe and haggle with Joseph over his homemade cap?  You know, either way, people were going to be screwed on the clothing issue. Either they would be criticized for wearing things with labels, or be called hipsters for wearing things without labels.

The other counter protest that is on my nerves is the 53% website.  They are these people who are poor but trying their best to pay their bills and be successful. You get people writing things like, "I grew up poor. I have college loans. I live with my parents so I can save money. I work two jobs. I will get out of debt. My decisions are my own."

Okay, so you're paying off your debt. You're making sacrifices. You're working several jobs. You're doing all kinds of shit to stay above water.  That is just awesome for you.

I'm glad you're a responsible person. I'm glad you're healthy enough to work several jobs. I'm glad you're lucky enough to have them. I'm glad you're lucky enough to have family you can stay with. I'm glad you're lucky enough to have the chance to get out of debt. That's great.

But, despite all your hard work? A lot of the rest of it IS luck. I know people who have worked hard all of their lives who currently have no income. Is this because of decisions they made? Yes, in an existential kind of way, because they did things like trust employers and trust in the system.  Believe me, they know better now.

Listen, I'm glad you could pull yourself up by your boot straps. More over, I'm glad you had boot straps.  But dammit, show a little understanding for the people who don't.

I think one of the the basic mistakes the haters are making is that they believe the protesters are looking for handouts.  From what I understand, in having talked to them,  that isn't the case.  More than anything, I believe they want people to actually take more responsibility.  They want individuals, and groups, and corporations, to realize their actions have very real consequences.

If the corporations what to survive, they should listen.  Otherwise, people may begin to believe that maybe it isn't a good idea to have all the labeled stuff. They may go back to making their own clothing, growing their own food, fixing their own meals.  They may walk away from the phones and the computers and the stupidly expensive coffees.

Though, if they do that . . . I don't think the corporations will survive for much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment