Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Squirtful Joys of 2011

So the year is ending. You've read the blog so you know all the shitful things that have happened over the year. No need to rehash, yeah? Let's talk about the good things.  Now, mind you, some of these things aren't really things that happened in 2012, it's just when I found them and became obsessed.

And you know, in my self-centered, potentially sociopathic way, if I didn't know about it until now, it didn't exist.  I'm narrowing this down to two things per group, otherwise I'd be here forevers.

BANDS 

FOSTER THE PEOPLE

Ya know, I didn't want to like this band because they fucking look like frat brothers. I can't help myself though. I heard "Pumped Up Kicks" one day on the radio and loved the sinister nature of it so damned much, I just couldn't help myself. Past that, it was love.

GOSSIP

Gossip has been around for a while, I even listened to them before this, but they became an obsession this year? Why? I dunno. Maybe because Beth Ditto did everything I should have done with my life. Well, and also, because of her voice and the stripped down perfection of the band. See, thing is, when you have a voice like hers, you really can't have too much music going on. It would just be overkill.


INTERWEBS DISTRACTIONS

GLITCH

Goddamn, I love this game so much. I really do. It's so much fun and has all kind of stuff to do. It never gets boring and best of all, it's not Facebook dependent and therefor set to sink into a deep pool of suck.  They keep making it better, which is just awesome. It's going to be great until we all get really bored.

BLOGGING

Is this kind of a given?  Maybe so. And again, I know I'm late to the game. Still, it's been a great outlet for me. I've loved blogging so much over the past year and plan to keep it going. And just think, to be honest, I didn't think I'd make it a month.  Wow. We're past 300 posts now.

TV SHOWS

AMERICAN HORROR STORY

This is kind of a given as well. I did write a mammoth two part post over it. It's a great damned show though. I'm a little bit disquieted about what they plan on doing with it, but we'll see. The point is, I talk to people about it. I discuss the characters and their motives.  We quote from it. I'll probably be annoying people with that "You're gonna regret it!" for the rest of my life.

GAME OF THRONES

Ahh, Sean Bean and a grand cast of characters all acting out (with quite a lot of success) the scenes from what has become my favorite books this year.   What could be better than watching the cast of Skins find new jobs and seeing Jason Momoa be hot and threatening and barbaric? Nothing, I tells you. NOTHING!  The show launched a million memes, a new phrase in the consciousness of the country, and led me to:

THE GRAND OBSESSION OF 2011

George R. R. Martin's A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

That's wight, wabbit. See, the thing is, when I obsess about something, I don't just give it mild attention. I OBSESS. I comb through fan art, I read the fanfic, I read all articles, squee about the previews of stuff, make up songs, discuss theories, read the wikis....everything. I'm in full scale fangirl mode with this now. And I'm loving every second of it.

So yeah, while 2011 did, overall, suck a lot of my soul, there were things that revived it as well. At the end of the whole mess, I think I'm coming out with more soul than I walked in with. Not too shabby. Bye, 2011. Kiss kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment