Friday, June 29, 2012

Exclusions

My 20th high school reunion is this weekend and I am not going.  I'm not sure if I was going to go before what happened, but I certainly wasn't going to attend afterward.  High school reunions are supposed to be open to everyone. If you graduated with the class, you should be allowed to show up. End of story. It seems that is not quite the case with my class.

There is a person I graduated with who is famous for doing something of which others do not approve. This person did nothing illegal in the state where she was doing it. She did nothing that caused harm to anyone.  If you know this person, then you know she is a sweet, talented, and richly wonderful human being.  She's also very funny, very open, and not ashamed of herself.

She was asked not to attend our reunion. She was told it was because of some drama involving her and her exhusband and that neither of them would be allowed to attend.  And yet . . . I saw on the message board from our class that he went tonight and had a very good time. This leads me to believe that the reason she was asked not to attend had nothing to do with him and everything to do with why she is famous.

And you know what? The facts about her life, while there for the public to view if they please, were not really openly discussed on Facebook by HER.  Her exhusband was the one who announced what she used to do for a living to everyone.  He is the one who condemned her and called her all kinds of horrible names. He made sure she was slut shamed for everyone mutual friend they had.

So no, I couldn't go to this reunion. I couldn't show up and smile at people and enjoy an event where people were being excluded because they didn't live up to the assumed moral standards of others.  I don't believe people should be left out of the room just because they don't fit the image of how you want to define yourself and the people you with whom you went to school. That is just bullshit.

I think it's very funny that our little class from the middle of no where actually has someone famous and everyone has their panties in such a twist about it that they just can't deal.  People, just fucking grow up.  Our class has a lot of people in it that you probably can't stand. There are homosexuals and atheists and pagans and cat ladies and people who had kids out of wedlock and drunks and felons and probably just about everything else you can think of. Not everyone will meet your approval but fuck you.

Anyway, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised by this. People can be very narrow minded. In the end though, I hope whatever people were responsible for making the decision to exclude my friend understand that they really truly hurt someone else's feelings. I hope they also understand that they annoyed the hell out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment