Sunday, June 10, 2012

Typos Revisited

Today my roommate asked me what word I was trying to bastardize in my last post.  It seems I put some letters in where I wasn't supposed to put them.  I'm sure if you read this blog on a regular basis, you know I play fast and loose with spelling . . . sometimes on purpose, the rest of the time, just because.|

The crazy thing is, I'm pretty self-conscious about this.  Well, in a lazy kind of way. I rarely actually go through and fix stuff unless I'm really paying attention.  Most of my editing comes on a word-by-word basis.  As screwed up as things are, if I didn't do that, it would be so much worse.

There are some words my fingers just will not type correctly. I never type 'from' on the first try. I always, always, ALWAYS type 'form.' Always.  It never fails. I have no idea why my fingers will not follow my brain on this, but they will not. I switch 'this' as well. I type 'thsi.' The thing is, spell-check catches that, because it's clearly not a word. FORM is a word. It's not the word I need, but it is a word. Dammit.

I think the truly frustrating thing about all of this is that I didn't actually have a formal typing class. I took one at the college, but it was only a summer thing and not for a grace. It was just something I did because I wanted to be a a writer and writers know how to type. They offered typing at school, but the woman who taught it was this supreme bitch who would kick people out of her class if she didn't think they were doing well enough. What bullshit is that? This is a fucking life skill!  You don't kick people out for not learning the life skill. If I would have been in charge, I would have fired her ass for being like that. She was there to teach typing, not the sacred order of time travel. Not everyone has to know that. Everyone needs to know how to type. Bitch.

You know what? I typed that last paragraph with my eyes closed.  I'm shocked at how well it turned out. I think I may actually type better without looking that I do looking. Maybe that is something I should work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment