Friday, June 22, 2012

I Just Saw WHAT Now?

Last night, I got this FB message from a friend of a friend inviting me to be part of a private sex chat group. My first instinct, as is always the case with these things, was to assume his account had been hacked and said hackers/robots/whathaveyou were trying to get people to respond so they could have access to my account. I didn't respond, ran my anti-virus whatnots, and was about to tell him on his FB page that he had been hacked when I find out that I was wrong. He really had started a private sex chat group.

FB does this weird thing now where when someone invites you to the group, you are automatically a member of the group until you actively opt out of it. Imagine my surprise when suddenly my feed is full of pictures of big penises, dildos, and some woman's vajayjay. I blinked a couple of times and realized what had happened. I got myself out of the group and sent the person who invited me a message telling him that I wouldn't be participating.

Dildos, aside, I wouldn't have participated anyway. I don't DO well with groups. Even if I feel inclined to post in a group at first, I very quickly stop posting. I'm just too fickle for groups. I lose interest in whatever it is and get bored. Beyond that, aside from this blog and the occasional message to someone, I try to be careful what I write on the internet.  The last thing I want is to get into some big stupid fight with people. I certainly don't want to be in a group that is going to piss me off and make me hate the world more.

I do lurk on quite a few forums. I lurk on the GRRM forums and read all the discussions.  Sometimes I even get annoyed with what people write, but I see no point in writing back to them because, again, I kind of dislike arguing with people on the internet. If others wish to do that, it's cool. Just not my thing though.

Of all the things in the world for me NOT to join, a sexy type group would be one of them. I know people think things like this will be stimulating on both a physical and intellectual level, but they rarely are. People think THEIR sex chat discussion group is going to be cutting edge and amazing. For a while, it even might be. Eventually though, groups like that devolve into degrading images that half the people are offended by and the other half want to defend. It becomes a big mess. After a while, this kind of thing just fills me with hate and I really don't need that. 

There is this misconception that the more you know about someone's wants, desires, and fantasies, the more depth and humanity you will find in them. There are a very, very few charming people who I have found this to be true of. For everyone else, it's been just the opposite. Usually the more I'm exposed to what turns people on, the creepier and less intelligent I find them. And I'm not saying my fantasies are the stuff of divine inspiration . . . then again, I'm not sharing them with the world either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment