Monday, June 25, 2012

The Wisdom of Arrested Development

Does anyone else notice I talk about pop culture stuff that isn't pop anymore? I just kind of let it filter in when I see fit, despite the fact whatever I'm talking about may have been off the air for years? Oh well, at least the Madoka stuff was current. Then again, I probably ran that into the ground.

A friend and I were discussing crazy people and the world today.  You know, kind of how the world is FULL of crazy people and even the people who weren't crazy end up that way because they have to deal with all the crazy people. This reminded me of Michael Bluth from Arrested Development and one of my theories about life.

See, I believe what is wrong with the world, is that most people believe they are Michael Bluth. They are a sensible, goodhearted, responsible person who is having to deal with a bunch of selfish horrible idiots. They believe they are successful by their own effort and merits and when they are not successful, it's because all of the idiots around them screwed things up.

However, I think the truth is closer to the idea that most of the people in the world are NOT Michael Bluth.  They're one of or a combination of, everyone ELSE in the Bluth family. They're pathetic and delusional like Tobias or controlling and narcissistic like Lucille or . . . whatever it is that Buster is . . .

This isn't to say we're all horrible people all the time. I think it's more like we're horrible people some of the time. We're sometimes selfish and shitty and just completely unwilling to make life easier for anyone.  We want things we can't have, things we shouldn't have, and thing we couldn't have even if someone handed them to us because we lack the skills to handle them.

Honestly, I think it's fine to be a screwed up horrible person sometimes. We need moments of illogic and vaingloriousness. It's part of what makes us human. The danger comes when we don't realize we have these flaws. When we go through our lives believing that we're The Good Michael Bluth.

The problem is, when we do this . . . okay, part of the problem is that we're just kidding ourselves. The bigger problem is that we deny our own agency is creating our life situations. If we just go around saying, "OH, my life sucks because of all these assholes," then we give the power to those assholes. It's harder to admit "my life sucks because I allowed these assholes to be part of it when I knew they would cause problems," but once we do admit to that, we have a chance to decide if we want to continue these things to happen.

Even if we do allow it, at least we gain some of our power back.

No comments:

Post a Comment