Saturday, June 30, 2012

One of my Biggest Fans

I spent the better part of two hours cleaning a fan today. It's one of our larger metal fans and it lives in the kitchen. Living in the kitchen means it is always subject to cooking oils and cat hair. So yeah, it was filthy nasty messy.

As I've mentioned before, we try to give the fans a good cleaning at the beginning of Needs a Fan season and then again at the end of it. For many of the fans in the house, this is enough. For others . . . well, let's just say it's fortunate I enjoy doing this kind of thing.  Some of the fans, like the one I handled today, need a lot more than just two cleanings during the season.

Since I became someone who actively and willingly participates in the cleaning of things, I've learned the value of layers.  Some things can be cleaned once and they are fine. These things are kind of rare if you've not been working on them. Almost everything else requires you to clean a layer at a time. One level of grime, then the next, then the next, then more if it is needed. When you work like this, there are some basic rules that make it easier.

I think the most important rule is that you do not scrub the bejesus out of things. I know this seems like the most logical way to go about it, but it isn't. My stove has a screwed up paint job because someone overscrubbed it before we lived here. Instead of just working down one layer at a time, someone scrubbed and scrubbed until the paint is so screwed up, it's almost difficult to clean at all now.

Instead, remember that this doesn't all have to come off at once. Clean a layer off.  Wait a bit and then clean another. This will take more time, but it is also easier on you and on whatever you are cleaning. And yes, it is easier on you as well. When you just work a layer at a time, you don't exhaust yourself from all the intense, constant motion. This means you can clean longer and more effectively.

By the time I handed the fan back to my roommate, it wasn't 100% clean.  Then again, it wasn't scary either. I accepted the fact that I wouldn't make it look perfect. I knew there was no way I could do that given the time I had. I did know it could look better than it did though, so I focused on achieving that. And I did.

Cleaning machines such as your fans is very helpful to you.  For one thing, it gets a lot of dust and crap out of the air you're breathing. For another thing, it helps to prolong the life of the machine.  Let's face it, most of us can't afford to just go out and buy a bunch of new fans.

In this heat, you certainly can't go without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment