Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Blessings

I'm on Facebook and the word blessing gets tossed around a lot. I can sometimes get eye rolly about it, but I shouldn't. People have the right to be thankful for and happy about the things in their lives that go right. My thoughts can get so dark sometimes that I don't really take the time to consider all the millions of good things that happen. But tonight, I'm going to take that time.

I'm thankful for Valentino. This is the walker I now have that helps me to cover long distances without falling over dead. The walker also adds a level of emotional security. There is a seat. When I get too tired, I can just sit there and catch my breath for a few minutes. At first I was kind of worried about how people would react, then I decided the benefits outweighed caring about that. There are also times when it is cumbersome and difficult to get through doorways, but when you consider that I will mostly be using it in medical establishments (that have wider doorways for such things), that isn't so much of a problem. Overall, Valentino has made a huge, positive difference in my life. I count that as a blessing.

One of the reasons why Valentino is so effective is due to the regulations put in place by the Americans with Disabilities Act. I know a lot of people get annoyed with the ADA because it forced them to make a lot of changes in their business accommodations, but if they ever get to the point where they are disabled, they will certainly change their minds. Elevators and ramps have been major blessings for me. They've helped me so much in terms of being able to access elevated areas. If I'm going to be a person with disabilities, I'm very fortunate to be one who lives in a society that values creating access for people.

I think most of all, I'm very thankful that I have someone who will go to doctor appointments with me. Local ones aren't that much of a problem (less one of us is too weak to drive), but when we have to drive a distance, it helps to have someone there with you. I'm thankful for the comfort of knowing I'm not alone. I'm thankful for the distraction from having to sit there and just fret about what is going to happen. Most of all, I'm thankful to have a witness there for when the big stuff happens. It's good to know someone else is aware of my story, my journey, no matter what direction it goes.

Stuff breaks. Things go wrong. People can be rude. The world can feel like it is just one fresh hell after another. In the midst of all of that, however, there are still good things. Even while the bad stuff is happening, there are still good things, still blessings, even in the same exact moment. Like I said, I can focus quite a lot on my deep dark thoughts. Okay, yeah, that's me. While I'm doing that, however, I want to always keep in mind all the amazing, bright, shiny blessings I have going on. They make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment