Tuesday, April 1, 2014

TV Geekery

First of all, GAME OF THRONES SEASON FOUR STARTS THIS WEEK YAY!!!! It has been way too long. I'm kind of mainlining myself on news articles and featurettes. I should probably watch the past season before Sunday  to make sure it's all fresh in my head. Squeee!! I am so excited for it to be back on. The best thing about it is that it's not even the episodes themselves. It's the cartoons and discussions and memes and parodies that will come along with it. It's like so much of the internet celebrates Game of Thrones together.

On the flip side, my roommate and I have officially decided to stop watching a show we have watched for a long time. I'm kind of sad about this. Normally when we stop watching shows, I'm NOT that sad about it because I've stopped caring about the characters. I really haven't stopped caring about these characters, but the show plotting, pacing, and story progression of the show has just become a mess. The show needs to be more intelligently written than it is. The characters that I like are being written in stupid ways just to force the plot to hang together. It's become such a chore to watch that I put it off as long as possible. When that kind of thing happens,  there really is no point in going on with the show.

The reality shows are going as they usually do. I'm somewhat frustrated with some of them because they've been on long enough for the current contestants to KNOW what is required of them. Tonight a guy on Face Off stood there and talked about how he'd never designed a robot before. Really? Okay, but........this is Face Off. Chances are, you're going to be required to create something robotic. With a show like this, you're best off studying how a variety of things work. Machines, plant structures, the physiology of various animals different types.

Then on Drag Race, this same complaint came up. "Oh, I don't know how to do x." Granted, in many ways, Drag Race is  the most complicated reality show out there. Contestants are asked to do their makeup, hair, outfits, be men who look like women, sing, dance, lipsync , act, rap, be funny, and have personality. It's a lot to cover. At the same time, anyone who goes onto this show KNOWS a lot will be required of them. Best to prepare.

It's like my confusion over the people who go on Survivor and can't swim. Really? You're usually on an island surrounded by water!

Anyway, enough of my TV geekery. It's bad enough you'll be having to hear about Game of Thrones for the next ten weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment