Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Varied Degrees of Normal

So it's cold. That's right. It's almost May and it's cold outside. I'm sitting here with a blanket over my legs and a cat on top of the blanket. I'm a little tired of the cold days, but then again, I guess I should enjoy them while they last. Hot, muggy summer will be here soon enough. It probably will be hot and muggy too. I would actually rather have a hotter, dryer summer, but I don't think that is likely. I do, after all, live in a very humid area.

Today was dramatic because we lost a cat for a few hours. My roommate searched for her, shaking the treat package and calling her name. She didn't show up for quite a while. When she finally did, we were very relieved. I knew she didn't get outside (she's done that before) because there was no time when she could have. I was, however, a little worried she might have passed away. She's not been ill or anything, but she is 13. I hated the idea of her dying all alone, in some hidden away place that we might not find until things started to get nasty.

Fortunately, she showed up and acted like nothing had happened. We rejoiced. Things were somewhat back to normal. I say somewhat because I'm honestly not even sure what normal is these days. Things are all breaking apart and speeding up in ways I don't quite understand. I'm worried there is nothing I can do about any of it besides just let it happen and hope I come out okay on the other side. If I do, I certainly hope I come out that other side as me, with everything that makes me still functioning. If not, I hope I can learn to live with whatever is left.

No comments:

Post a Comment