Sunday, August 31, 2014

Crazy Cats

So the cats have gone insane. Or rather, I suppose I should say they have gone MORE insane. This weather has addled their brains to where they can't tell hot from cold. And sadly, this isn't the first time this has happened. Our late cat Fluffy used to sprawl over my legs during the heat of the summer and look at me expectantly, as if I could suddenly make him cooler. I am guessing his logic was 'well, when I lay on her during the winter, I get warmer. Surely it works that way in reverse right now.'

I suppose Rowan is using the same logic at the moment. During the evening, while it is still humid and hot enough for things to be sticky, she now insists on sitting right next to me. Actually, she's next to me when I am lucky. The rest of the time, she will wedge her body against mine and push down into the chair. Unless I move her (and if I do move her, she will certainly come back), I have a furry, heat-producing cat with as much of her body against me as possible.

Her sister spends most of the winter buried under a blanket on the couch. In winter, of course, this is perfectly logical and acceptable. But in the summer? For some reason no one understands, this cat will insist on being under that blanket no matter how hot it is outside. It can be in triple digits and she will still get under that blanket. She will stay there for hours and sleep.

Of course, one of the reasons people love cats is because they are strange little creatures. I know this. Cats seem to thrive on developing habits and patterns that defy all logic and reason. However, I just don't get the point of wanting to spend a hot day being as hot as you possibly can.

Then again, maybe the goal was to get me to think about them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment