Friday, October 2, 2015

Broomstick Lace

I was looking for a pattern for a gift today and saw a technique I'd never seen before. It's called broomstick lace. It looked complicated but very pretty. I watched a few videos on it and thought I'd give it a try. The neat thing about it is that you pull your loops onto something else and then work them back into the project. It's kind of like knitting, only not.

Being myself, I somehow missed an important step in the process the first time I tried it. I corrected myself when I did it again and managed to make the lace work for me. I'm not sure how often I'll use it, but it's really cool to learn something new.

I am forever in awe of the things people come up with for fiber arts. People who work in this medium are so creative and most of the time, so very generous. Knitting and crocheting groups really do feel like communities. To me, it's one of the best things about being online.

In the wake of yet another school shooting and knowing that the shooter was yet another discontent who felt society had failed him, I would like to say again, and I will continue to say over and over, that our creativity is our salvation. Hobbies sooth the mind. Learning new things and completing projects build confidence and a sense of accomplishment. These things can make so much of a difference in people's lives, in their outlooks on those lives, and in how they view others.

No comments:

Post a Comment