Friday, October 9, 2015

Yo Joe

I had a lot of fun reading i09's article where they ranked all the GI Joe figures. While normally the comments of anything are horrible, these comments were great. People talked about the first Joes they got,  the ones they wanted, and what they did with them. Like my little brother (and me, okay), many of them brought other action figures into the various games.

I love articles like this because I think anyone who lived through that time comes away from the article so happy. Getting toys was such a simple and pure joy. And while, yes, we shouldn't value things over people, back then, we were left alone a lot. Having toys made that easier. And as much as people thought toys based off cartoons and movies would limit kids' imaginations, they were really wrong. It gave us a jumping off point, but the stories go wilder and more elaborate from there. It was our first level of fanfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment