Friday, October 16, 2015

Lack of Understanding and Avoidance

I'm getting more confidence about the crocheting, especially when it comes to working patterns. It's funny that in many ways, patterns have really been daunting to me for all these years. I avoided them. It wasn't because I thought I was too good for them. It was because I was never really taught now to read them and looking at lines like 'ch 3 dc 4 ch 2 sk 3 hdc 6' made no sense to me.

Through the magic of Google and Youtube, I've learned to read patterns. It's opened up a whole new world for me of what can happen with my yarn. I've also learned to read diagrams, which makes some of the more difficult (or badly explained) patterns easier for me. Because of this, I am now doing more complex things.

It makes me wonder how many things in life are avoided or dismissed simply because we lack the knowledge to understand them. It's one thing to make wonky-fitting hats if that's what you're into. It's okay to not follow patterns if you have a fundamental understanding of them. But when the reason you never do them is because you just lack the skills to read them, you're limiting yourself. It's cliche, of course, but it's amazing how the world can open  up when you step out of ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment