Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Bad Reactions

Recently the Fine Brothers tried to trademark the 'React to' videos and force other Youtubers (or anyone else) to either take down their reaction videos or pay the Fine Brothers a percentage of their earnings for doing them. The internet screamed at them about this and they lost a lot of subscribers. Given the heavy reaction, they decided they wouldn't try to trademark the react thing.

This is one of the ways in which Youtube is complicated when it comes to intellectual property. The Fine Brothers do the majority of the more popular 'react to' videos and put a lot of work into them. I can see how the explosion of reaction videos could be really annoying to them, especially as it spreads off of Youtube and onto TV programs.

The thing is, reaction videos aren't something they created. It's just something that popularized. Trying to say you 'originated' reaction videos would be as difficult as saying you originated 'top ten' videos or parody songs. It may be part of your schtick, but you are not the genesis.

Personally, I do wish that a lot of people would move on from reaction videos. Some are awesome, yes. Others . . . well, I think for some Youtube stars, reaction videos have just become a lazy way to get a video out. I think we'd do well to see some more variety happening, and yes I realize I said that and I don't do any videos at all.

I think a lot of the blowback may be the poor timing of it. Youtube is starting it's Red streaming service and a lot of people are anxious that regular Youtube is going to become the dregs of nothing. I understand that Red is the only way that a lot of people on Youtube may be able to make some money and I don't fault them for that. It still feels corporate and hinky though. Most people aren't comfortable with it.

I honestly don't know how this will end up affecting things for the Fine Brothers. They retracted their plans quickly, but it may not be enough to keep their audience. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment