Friday, September 2, 2016

Cart Saga

One of the complications of living in my grandmother's house is that I inherited all of her stuff. Now, some of her stuff is awesome and beautiful. Other things are items she picked up at yard sales, meaning they are who knows who old. My living room furniture is a good example of this. She picked this stuff up while I was in college from a yard sale. It looks pretty 80s and so I assume that's when it was built. I have no idea how it's staying together, but honestly, when it falls apart, I'm not going to feel bad about it. It's served way beyond its intended use.

The bigger items are easy to account for, but there are also a lot of little things in the house that probably have seen more years of service than they should. Today, (most of) one of those items was put to rest.

Since we moved in here, we've had a cheapass blue wire cart in the bathroom. It holds various bathroom items and sits between the toilet and the tub. It's very useful (in theory) and makes dealing with the bathroom a lot easier.

As I said, it's also old as the hills. It's been flaking off large clumps of blue paint since we moved here.  Under the paint is rust. Sometimes the cats would try to use it as a bed and it would collapse. I've talked before about how skinny my cats are. There is no reason this thing should have fell apart, but it's ancient and rickety.

Anyway, my roommate purchased a new wire cart. It's white and has one more shelf than the blue one did. Today I put it together and replaced the blue one. Having the nice, clean, taller, spiffy cart gives the bathroom a whole different feel.

Now, I said I got rid of MOST of the blue one because I did keep some parts of it. I repurposed the shelves by hanging them on my metal storage shelf in the living room. They now give me some extra space for smaller items. I'm rather pleased with this, though we all know how my grand ideas often don't go so well when reality hits them smack in the face.

But for now, I'm feeling very practical about the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment