Sunday, September 4, 2016

Foxcatcher

I knew Foxcatcher would be a good movie, but I was in no way prepared for the level of emotional squirm it would give me. The acting is stellar. Everyone is so humanly awkward that it just sets me on edge. I've seen straight up horror movies that made me feel less icky than this.

Steve Carell's portrayal of John E. du Pont is intense and increasingly creepy in a way that made me dread every moment he would be onscreen. For someone best known for his comedies, Carell is often overlooked when it comes to his dramatic roles. Honestly, I think he's better in them, especially the darker ones. Foxcatcher is certainly a dark movie.

In many ways, it's the same kind of sick in the pit of my stomach feeling I had watching Boys Don't Cry. I guess that makes sense. Both movies are based on true stories about a murder victim and the person who killed them. In du Pont's case, I can see why they argued insanity, but at the same time, while I do believe the man was insane, I also think it was the kind of crazy one gets from being raised so stupid rich that relating to normal people is practically impossible.

Yes, I know I gave some spoilers there, but then again, the facts of this movie have been public knowledge for years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment