Sunday, September 11, 2016

There Really Is a Big Picture

Thanks to my best friend (seriously, thank you!) I saw Labyrinth in the theater today. I've seen this movie like a million times, but this is the first of those times to involve a big screen. Did it make a difference? Oh yes, it certainly did.

When movies are adapted to smaller viewing (in this case, VHS waaaaaaaaaay back in the day) certain scenes have to be chopped and edited in order to fit into the limited space. Because of this, the full meaning of scenes can be lost. For instance, in this movie, the masked ball is far more sensual and titillating in its original form. The scene with the garbage woman makes a lot more sense. Watching all the elements unfold together makes the story more complete.

The theater was full. I'm not surprised by this. A lot of people love this movie. It flopped when it was first released, but achieved cult classic status in the years to follow. We're 30 years past Labyrinth, and despite some very 80s elements to it, it still holds up well. I'm very glad I got to see it.

This is a day I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment