Monday, February 20, 2017

The Billions of Bookmarks

I'm bookmark-happy and organization-happy and lazy. This trifecta really doesn't work that well. I always promise myself that I'll organize things as I go, but half the time I'm lucky if things end up in the right general area. This is why I sometimes have to take an evening (or a week) to resort everything so I can function again.

I keep a bookmark folder I labeled "Holding" for random articles/pages that I want to look at, but may not have time to mess with in the moment. I'm pretty good about going back to them and reviewing what I put in there, but not really that great at cleaning things out afterward. Tonight I managed to cull the list down to a manageable level.  What is left in there will get sorted into other folders, though admittedly, I'm kind of to the point where I need to clean up all my bookmarks.

Even my yarn folder is getting cluttered. I need to resort things in it, maybe even do more subfolders over patterns I actually have done and will do again. I get really subfolder happy. In fact, my Yarn folder used to be under Knowledge>Resources>Crafts>Yarn. To get to anything in it was a nightmare. An organized nightmare, but still, if I wanted to find a pattern for a cat, I'd have to do Knowledge>Resources>Crafts>Yarn>Crochet>Toys. Finally, I just put the Yarn folder on my dashboard. Much easier now.

The thing is, I'm not really complaining about the system. Even though it can get out of hand sometimes, I'm cool with that. For the most part, the tons of subfolders work really well for me and I find what I need. There is also a meditative aspect to organizing bookmarks. It's this little spot in the chaos where I can create some order.

No comments:

Post a Comment