Thursday, February 2, 2017

Waiting for my Yarn

First thing you learn is you always gotta wait. -The Velvet Underground "Waiting for my Man"

I know a woman who used to own a yarn store. When she went out of business, she ended up with all the overstock of yarn. Recently, she decided to start selling it off as surprise boxes. I wanted one because I knew the price was really really good.

At first we thought she would send it, but of course, packing up a lot of boxes of yarn and sending them off to people gets far more involved than one first suspects. She told me she would drive it down to my house, but I was going to be in the town where she lives the following day, so I told her my best friend and I would swing by to pick it up.

So this gets us to showing up at 11:30 in a neighborhood where no one knows us and waiting out in front of someone's house. Did we look a little shady? Well, an old lady pulled into the driveway next to us and didn't get out of her car for a good long while if that says anything. My best friend was kind enough to walk to the house and knock for me, but no one answered. I finally got a call to her and that wasn't answered either. After a while, we assumed it was a bust so we drove off.

A few minutes later, the woman who was selling me the yarn called back. She said the yarn would be waiting for us on the porch. We drove back, parked on the wrong side of the road, and retrieved the box. It all felt so clandestine and dangerous.

I got my yarn though. It was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment