Friday, February 10, 2017

The Colonies

This is an enticing article about how the microbiome may influence mental health and free will. I say 'enticing' because it just brings up some possibilities. There are very few conclusions as of yet. I will say that I'm starting to really believe the possibility that people stay fat because of their biome. Overweight people have different colonies than people who aren't fat. Very few people can lose weight and really keep it off. Perhaps the reason certain people DO keep the weight off is because they finally starve out those colonies that thrived when they were fat.

It begs the question . . . is that worth it? Will you willingly kill off part of yourself to achieve that goal? Some would argue that it is totally worth it because it means you (and all the rest of your biome) have a better chance of living a longer life. However, at what cost. I love this stuff. I don't think anything has fascinated me so much as the microbiome in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment