Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Humor Drama

My hometown came in sixth on a list of the most white trash towns in Oklahoma. I thought this was funny as hell and reposted it on Facebook. The post was very public so everyone, including friends of friends, got to see it. My conservative family members' friends didn't seem to like the post that much. One of them even commented that it was racist.

Normally I would let this kind of thing slide because I try my best not to argue with people on Facebook, however, in this case, I just couldn't. White trash is not a racist term. It's a term that describes a culture of people, often even used BY that culture of people. Racism implies that the labeling would cause them some kind of hardship in their lives and it really doesn't. This was my comment.

Totally not racist. No one is doing anything to harm the white trash. Being White Trash doesn't stop them from renting trailers. No one will refuse their loans from the quickie loan place or question 'my girlfriend's mama's miCROwave' as collateral. When they go to the local pill doctor and claim they got a back injury while 'wrastlin that damn nayber dawg off mah dawg Elvis' they will receive their quota of oxy pills. When they get stopped by the cops for going 80 in a 25, the cop merely exchanges fishing stories with them while writing them out a warning for the speeding, the open container, and the fact that their 'wittrsh' license plate is expired.

Someone past this commented that I was being ridiculous and clearly they do not live in this area. Any and all of these things can happen, though the ability to obtain a loan with a microwave not owned by you is based completely on your level of charm. The thing is, most white trash people are oddly charming.

Anyway the whole thing was meant in good humor. Some people don't seem to get that. Maybe they'll get tickled by Twizzlers or something. That seems to make people smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment