Sunday, September 10, 2017

Smoke

I was sick all last fall. My roommate was sick all last fall. We were both sick during the winter and into Spring. My roommate was hospitalized with pneumonia. I've been thinking a lot about why I'm so ambivalent about the season and I believe it has a lot to do with this perpetual cycle of illness we found ourselves in.  I would rather like to avoid all of that this year.

Of course, it's like the world makes this almost impossible. This morning my roommate was in his room when it suddenly filled with smoke. Worried the house was on fire (always a worry with a home this old), he went into the living room, only to discover the rest of the house was fine. When he went outside, he realized the neighbors were burning leaves and all of their smoke was pooling in his room.

Come on, people.

It doesn't take a genius to notice the way the wind is blowing. It should have been clear to them any smoke would end up someone else's problem. If they wanted to be rid of their leaves that badly, there were other, less crappy ways to accomplish it. We're not living in the middle of the boonies here. There are reasonable practices one should do when living in town, like consider one's neighbors.

Not that these neighbors have ever been good about that. They're loud. They mow like every other day. They run machines all the time. Uggh.

No comments:

Post a Comment