Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The New Game

Okay, confession time. I recently started playing Kim Kardashian Hollywood. And I love it.

It isn't Glitch. I don't think anything will ever replace the spiritually uplifting beauty that was Glitch. Then again, given recent grief and current mindset I seem to be in, I'm not sure I have the spoons for anything spiritual. KKH is superficial. It's a game about becoming a celebrity, having nice clothes, and cool houses. At the same time, it's well structured, has a clear storyline, and so far it isn't boring. Even the grazing you have to do to get energy isn't really that boring.

The Facebook version of the game follows the storyline of the phone version. You're working in a small clothing shop and have a chance encounter with Kim Kardashian when she's in need of help. She takes a liking to you and helps you start down your path toward fame. Along the way, you meet her family, some helpful and eccentric staff, and gain either Dirk Diamond or Willow Pape as a rival.

There are quests and miniquests. There are situations where you can choose your own moral path (which leads to alterations in the quests). There are also a lot of options about who to date, what to wear, and where to live. Those last three can cost you a lot of money and little decisions about what you purchase and change how well the game goes for you. For instance, on my third time restarting, I had the sense to save up to buy the private jet (which saves you a fortune on travel) but still haven't forced myself to buy the house in Calabasas (which gives you the most advantages during parties and episodes of your show).

Oh, that's another fun aspect of the game. You shoot your own reality show. You even get to name it. I named mine Gold Digger. As the game progresses, you can also buy other businesses, like clubs, shops, fashion houses, and hotels. I currently own three shops, a fashion house, a hotel, and a gym. I have weekly quests related to each of these that rewards me extra funds when I complete them.

And yes, most of the time, the game is just grazing for points, doing photo shoots, and watching your completion bar fill up, but even those are fun. Most of the photo shoots have connected stories and the ones that don't tend to at least give you some good rewards.

Best of all, the game creators found a way to keep it from being boring once you reach the top. At that point, when you have completed all the related quests, you have the option of losing your fame and clawing your way back as a rebranded star. I've been coaxing a hot A-lister for a while now. When I finally fall from grace, I plan to ditch my current husband, marry the A-lister, and begin my path again. It's going to be glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment