Thursday, March 12, 2020

Toxic Speaking

I am so so glad I made a rule for myself that I won't argue with people on Facebook. Sometimes that rule is hard to keep, but whenever it is, I remind myself that the emotions I'm feeling in that moment are exactly WHY I made this rule.

So Tom Hanks and his wife are ill. There are people out there saying "Good. He said MEAN THINGS about Trump." Basically, these people are wishing illness, discomfort, fear, and possibly death on someone for just having and expressing a different opinion than theirs.

I have to stop and question myself here. I have to wonder if I've felt this way before. And the answer is probably yes because I'm human. But I stopped myself from continuing to feel that way. I stopped myself from letting that kind of nastiness fester. It isn't the kind of person I want to be.

People lashed out at those who expressed happiness at Hanks's situation. That did no good. That didn't help anything and it certainly didn't change anyone's minds. All it did, all it does, is just add to the nastiness. All it does is just perpetuate the toxicity of our nation and its politics.

This needs to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment