Sunday, May 15, 2011

Happiness: An Ongoing Essay Part Two

THE ACT OF DAILY HAPPINESS

I really didn't plan to write sections of this close together, save that I got inspired about some things. I must say that I love being inspired, especially after this many months of blogging. It's a nice kind of feeling to know that I'm still finding stuff to write.

Anyway, this morning I was thinking about how happiness is not only a choice, but, like anything else, needs to be practiced on a daily basis. As I've stated, happiness isn't something we can arrive at passively. Or, at least, not something we should arrive at passively.  Happiness should be the end goal of at least three activities every day. Hopefully more.

As simple as this statement is, I know a lot of people will disagree. In our society, we are geared towards and encouraged to have goals with tangible results.  If we like gardening, it's not enough that we spend time doing it, but that the plants grow and look great. If we like a craft, we should make sure we produce things from said craft that have value.   No matter what it is, for many people, if they are doing something for their own simple pleasure, it is a waste of our time.

It isn't though. In fact, not only do I believe that you should allow yourself to do things just to make you happy, but that you should see it as a responsibility.  As I have stated before, your happiness is up to you.  And every day, you should do something about it. Now, there is a potential trap here.  Don't start things and let them turn into a chore.  If you dread your "Daily Happiness Activity," then it is not making you happy. It is just something you're doing to go through the motions.

Now, a bit of advice.

There are some basic tips for daily happiness.

1. Choose activities that are not dependent on other people.  Other people may not be around to help you. They may be tired or not into what you want to do.  They may not be in the mood. Your Happiness Activities are best when they involve things that only need you to be accomplished.

2. Choose things that don't cost you a lot of money.  Now, there may be some money in the start of things. I knit, and if you don't watch how you are spending, knitting can get very expensive. However, if I keep in mind I only have a limited allowance of funds for it, I can still enjoy my knitting without making it a burden on my life.

3. Choose things you really WANT to do.  A lot of the time, we choose our hobbies or activities because we think it is what we are supposed to like.  When we find these things aren't making us happy, we think we're doing something wrong or there is something wrong with us.  That isn't the case. It simply means this activity isn't for you.

4. I'm listening several ways you can do daily happiness activities below, but keep in mind quite often these can overlap.  For instance, for me, blogging is something an intellectual thing and a creative thing. Sometimes, it is purely emotional.  Activities can have different results and different ways they affect you.

Ideally, I would like to see people hit all of these points when pursuing happiness. However, I know that there are only so many hours in the day, people have other things they have to do.  But I think if you get at least three of these in a day, you'll be doing well. Hell, even doing one thing to make you happier is great.

DO SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOU PHYSICALLY HAPPY.

No, I'm not just talking about sex. Though, I'm sure for a lot of people, that qualifies. But it isn't the only path to physical happiness. Sleep is also good and something you should not neglect. Also, consider massages, work outs, walks, or even just taking a few minutes to stretch.

Perhaps it is interesting that Ye Olde Fat Bitch would start with physical happiness needs. However, as I've blogged about in the past, I tend to ignore my body and what's going on with it, but things are still going on. When I am well rested, not tense, have worked out, and my blood sugar levels are good, I feel better.  Happy body goes along way towards happy life.

DO SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOU EMOTIONALLY HAPPY.

"Emotionally happy" may seem redundant, but, like the physical, I think it is primary. Taking a few minutes every day to boost our emotions to a happier state does wonders. This is a place where I think a lot of people fall into the trap of relying on others.  Look, I'll talk more about this in a later post, but the more independent we can be in our happiness, the better.

To achieve some emotional happiness, set aside time each day to focus. Then actively pursue a positive and pleasurable emotion. During this time, make yourself laugh by recalling funny events. Make yourself feel proud by talking about what you have achieved.  Think about someone you care for and bask in that love.

Okay, yes, I know, this sounds a little hokey. It works though. It's kind of a nice, free, legal high.

DO SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOU INTELLECTUALLY HAPPY.

Activities that make our brain pleased go a long way towards our overall happiness. A nice side benefit to this is the more we use our brains, the more inspired and creative we become.

I spent this weekend reading a series of blog posts about Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels. The posts were long critiques of the works and I had one of the best times with I've had in a while. Mind you, book discussion is one of my things. As is, well, discussion and analysis of just about everything. I'm sure you've noticed.

I would think that just about all of us have intellectual activities that make us happy.  For some people, it may be doing crossword puzzles or other word searches. For others, it is organizing things and solving spacial problems. For others, it may be listening to people speak about topics of interest. Reading, learning about nature, studying history, of any millions of other things that make our brains happy.

If you don't know what this is for you, take some time and explore. If you do, take some time and enjoy these activities. Your brain will thank you with happy chemicals.

DO SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOU SPIRITUALLY HAPPY.

Of all of these, I think this one is the most personal because each of us approaches the idea of the spiritual in a different way. For some people, making their spirit happy might involve praying or reading a holy book. For others, it might be singing or meditation. For some people, the path to spiritual happiness might involve watching birds or gardening.  This is honestly something you have to discover for yourself.

While I won't go into all the ways I pursue spiritual happiness, I will share something I try to do every day before sleeping. I give myself a few minutes to look at all the blessings I have been given during the day.  For instance, right now, I am thankful because I have a working computer and internet access so I can write this post. I am thankful for the good meals my roommate cooked and for the little cat's paws against my leg. I'm thankful I have a working oxygen machine, that I'm not in a lot of pain, that I have a playdate tomorrow with a friend.

Being thankful for what you have always makes you happier.  Sometimes we forget, in the overwhelming hell of all of the bad, just how many ways in which everything can be good.

DO SOMETHING TO MAKE YOUR SENSES HAPPY.

I think this one is probably the easiest. You do, after all, have a lot of senses to work with.  So, listen to some good music, look at something that pleases you, take some time to savor a smell you love. Touch some things. Touch scratchy things. Enjoy a good meal.  

And you know, don't just do these things. Really focus on them. Don't just let the song play....let it move you. Don't just eat the food, really concentrate on the flavors. Really LOOK at that sunset. Really commit that glorious scent to memory.

Like I said, I know everyone can't spend their whole day pursuing happiness. Okay, I'm sure some people do, but for a lot of us, it's impractical. But I will tell you this. I committed myself to working out for at least 20 minutes every day. Twenty minutes isn't very long. Anyone can probably handle it.  However, over the weeks since I started, I feel stronger, I'm in less pain, and I'm sleeping better.  With that in mind, think about the way your overall mood could change if you take 20 minutes a day to really actively and consciously pursue your own happiness.  I'm betting the results will please you.

2 comments:

  1. Vagina mermaid necklaces make me happy. :)

    Okay, you've inspired me. 20 minutes of yoga or belly dance every day. Or an herb walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nice thing about yoga and belly dancing is that they fulfill happiness in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete