Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pixel People and the Joys of Imperfection

Today was lackluster and hot. Actually, it wasn't really hot, it just seemed that way because we're not used to it being in the 80s yet. In a month or so, 80s will feel like paradise compared to the ungodly three digit temperatures that will be radiating down upon us. Expect lots of bad moods and bitchery from that. Something to look forward to!

But today, it felt like hell. Bring back my 70s.  Bring back my 60s.  Again, what on earth possessed me to be a fat woman who lives in the humid and hot South? Oh yeah. Insanity.

Aside from working out, I managed to do nothing of significance. Oh wait.  I installed my Sims 3 on the new comp.  So let the wickedness begin again.

I love Sims because it allows me to do several things I love at once. I get to play with dolls, build houses, and pretend to be god. Sometimes my little sim people get a nice god. Most of the time, they get an evil god.

Well, maybe not evil. I tend to not kill them just for the fun of it . . . not anymore, at least. More often than not these days, I just let them play out their wants and desires.

A lot has changed since how I used to play Sims 3.  When I first got the game, I would design my sims with personalities that made it easy for me to handle them. Artistic geniuses who were brave and lucky and liked to work out.  And while I didn't name all of them Mary Sue, that is about what they were.

Then one day I randomly rolled traits and got a coward.  That was the funnest sim ever.  He would pass out when he saw ghosts. He would freak out when it was dark. He got electrocuted all the time. In fact, he was so pathetic that when he finally died, Death told him he was so amusing, he was going to let him keep living. Ahh, how I loved this sim!

Since then, I always roll random on my sims. Whatever traits they end up with is what I go with.  Most of the time, this makes them a very difficult challenge for me, which is far more fun. And while yes this means I may have to coax them into water or watch as they sabotage every electronic they come into contact with, it's still way more interesting than watching them just roll up a want to paint yet another masterpiece.

I think a lot of the time, we do look for the more perfect and easy things.  It makes so much sense, in the beginning, to no want a real challenge. But over time, just dealing with the same easy, simple thing over and over gets boring.  That's when we realize that something a little more complex and difficult is what we wanted in the first place.

Wait, did I just answer my own question about why, as a fat woman, I choose to live in hot and humid land?  I guess I did.  Yup. Challenge.

And insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment