Monday, August 29, 2011

The Facepalming of the Gods

So Bachmann says a lot of stupid shit. I think if I tried to blog over all of it, I'd be blogging 24/7.  Someone please get this woman better handlers. It's embarrassing. Seriously, I think even people who hate her cringe in embarrassment over the stupid that shoots from her mouth.

Recently she made some comment about how the earthquake and then the hurricane were god's wrath or wakeup call or something. Then she claimed she was joking.

As a side note, that is SUCH a bitchy meangirl trick. "OH MAH GA, your hair looks SO bad today! Hahaha, just kidding! Ya didn't take that SURIOUSLY did you?"

Joking or not, we all know this type of statement has been made forever. It's like the common rhetoric of the quasi-religious-wanna-control-you crowd.  No matter how advanced our meteorology or other sciences, no matter how much we try to educate people, anytime the weather DOES STUFF, someone or many someones has to claim it's because of some god's wrath. Yes, even now. Even in 2011.

This idea is both narcissistic and insane.

It's narcissistic because it's based on the idea that the actions of humans dictates what happens with the weather.  Do we have an affect on the weather? Certainly.  However, storms don't happen because people decide to sin. Floods don't happen because people played Grand Theft Auto instead of reading some holy book.

Storms happen because they need to, because that is what the weather has to do at that time to remain stable. In fact, we'd all be far more fucked if we didn't have storms.

And yes, these storms can be devastating to people and their homes.  This is horrible and rough on them. It can be scary as hell, expensive, sad, and sometimes fatal. But no god did this to punish you.  No god did this to hurt you, any more than I'm trying to punish micro-organisms that live on my skin when I kill billions of them as I shower.

Simply put, weather can be horrible on us, but the weather didn't happen for that reason.

This theory is also insane because it creates this idea that people worship an abusive bastard god.

Because if the stuff I said before wasn't true and weather really was controlled by some god who was using it to punish people, why the fuck would anyone worship him/her/it?

Let's put this in perspective. Say the god is your spouse. Basically what you just said is, "I'm beaten up and I lost everything. I was terrorized for hours and I'm now homeless. I don't know when I'll be able to get back on my feet. This happened because I didn't obey my spouse, so they beat me up and burned down my house.  I'm not going to leave them though because I'm so scared they'll do it again . . . or do worse."

You wouldn't advise anyone to stay with that spouse, so why would you think you should tell people to keep worshiping this god? If the god you worship tortures and terrorizes people for disobeying, why would you stay with this god?

Because, if that is what god is . . . if god is some abusive parent who kills people just because they disobeyed, then we should all turn from this god.  We should all die and live it with no worshipers. It deserves none. It deserves to be alone.  A god, like any human, who is just bad tempered and violent, deserves to be alone.

Bachmann claims she's a Christian. I'm not exactly sure she knows what that word means, but if she does, there is a better and far more true message she could have given about Irene. She could have said something like "I know the storms are horrible and devastating to people. Everyone is scared and wondering what will come next.  I hope you find comfort in those moments.  I hope you feel someone holding your hand. I hope the rescue workers locate the lost. I hope the power holds, so we don't have to brave this in the darkness. I hope we come together as a people and help out those in need."

Comfort. Strength. Charity. A light in the darkness. These are a far better witness. I hope her heart opens up and she realizes this. I hope her mouth stays closed until she's really thought through what she's going to say. I also hope people see past the isolation religion seems to want to cause these days and that we all found our common ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment