Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Girl Can't Help It

I started watching RuPaul's Drag Race tonight and it's awesome. Ru took every good aspect and every kitschy aspect of reality contests, added glitter, stiletto heels, and made it into a show. Lovely.

I realized by the third episode, I was feeling a little sad. Then I realized that watching it makes me miss Divine. In fact, I think the reason I love drag queens is because of Divine. Divine is one of my heroes and always will be.

Divine, or Harris Glenn Milstead as she was sometimes known (like, out of drag) was not acceptable by any conventional standards.  And yet, managed to carve out an amazing (if off the beaten path) career in showbiz.  Singing, acting, and entertaining every way around, Divine was the definition of fierce.  There wasn't anything she was afraid to do.  She made the crass beautiful. I loved that.

It's funny how most of the time, I tend to just hide in the house, with only my blog and FB as my only contact with anyone, when, in my mind, I have all these heroes who are the fierce, freaky amazing people.  On my good days, I'm right there with them, letting my freak flag fly. Sadly, the good days are few. That should change.

But in the meantime, let's celebrate something truly Divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment