Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Question of Sacrifices

Tonight, I got into a fight with someone I know. Maybe "fight" is a bad word. Argument. Disagreement. Difference of opinion. The thing is, it was about her lack of self-esteem. She made the comment that she would give up 25% of her intelligence if she could be 25% better looking.  I thought this was insane but she countered that most women feel this way.  She told me I knew she was right.

The thing is, it certainly is not true for me.

Yes, me. The person who weighs over 500 lbs. The person who has all of these issues. The person who is going gray, not only in her hair, but also in her eyebrows.  Me. That person. I would NEVER do this.

And you may think I'm lying, but I'm not.

Maybe it's because I'm almost forty now and I have a better perspective on it.  I know that beautiful people are no happier than anyone else.  They may not have the same issues as the less-attractive, but they gain other problems, like being objectified and defined just by their looks.  They acquire stalkers and people who just pretend to be their friends. People expect them to act a certain way, to have a certain personality. When they don't live up to these expectations, the people become angry.

I also know that it wouldn't have made someone love me. It may have made people pay more attention to me, but not love. I've got people who love the hell out of me even without being perfect looking. Does it mean I didn't get some of the boys I could have if I'd been prettier? Yeah. But I know these boys now that they're adults and I've seen how they treated their prettier lovers. It wasn't nice. Not at all.

I think the main issue though is that I'd be totally loathe to give up my intelligence.  My wit is actually the main thing I have going for me. Losing some of it to gain some marginal beauty wouldn't be worth it all. I like being the smart ass who says the funny thing. I like being the able to entertain myself and others with stories and general bullshit. It's certainly more fun than just being prettier.

Look, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being beautiful.  I just don't think it makes life easier on you. But trading away your smarts? That's bound to make life more difficult.

Now.....would I give up 25% of the attractiveness to be 25% more intelligent than I am now? Oh fuck yes. And it's not just because I'd be smarter.  While that is an awesome side benefit, I'm also snide enough to relish the idea of being less attractive and seeing how people reacted to me THEN.

Is there anything I would give up 25% of my intelligence for? Hmmm......not 25% more money....because 25% more money than what I have now still wouldn't be shit. Maybe 25% more successful.....wait, no, the baseline is still way too low.  I guess not.  It would have to be way higher. Like "I'd give up 10% of my intelligence to be 50% more wealthy."

I actually considered maybe giving up intelligence to be more manipulative and persuasive, but I have such a moral objection to stupid people swaying others to do their bidding that I just never could accept that one.   If I was just a little more evil, I might be able to. So I guess I'd have to make it "manipulative and evil."

Hmm. Wait, I got it. I give up 25% of my attractiveness to gain 25% more intelligence.  THEN I trade 25% of my intelligence to be 25% more manipulative and evil. I'm less attractive than ever, but just as smart, and more persuasive.

All I would have to do is find a nice country to conquer . . .

2 comments:

  1. This is such a good post, and so true. The idea that most women would choose looks over smarts amazes me. I wonder what kind of women she knows if she thinks this is how we operate.

    Of course, few things annoy me more than a woman saying, "This is how women feel; this is how women operate." I don't think having the same basic anatomical parts gives a person license to define me by my gender. When will society allow women to be thought of as individuals, instead of one big conglomerate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to sound like a smug old lady, but this person is young. I think a lot of the time, we tend to think everyone believes the way we do. At least, that's how I see it.

    ReplyDelete