Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cut Hands and Awkwardness

You know, there is nothing quite like the awkwardness of bleeding from your favored hand. It's like no matter how hard you try to stop the bleeding, you constantly keep moving and reopening the wound. No, that's not an analogy for anything . . . at least not in this case. I really did cut my right hand tonight.

In this case, it was a Gluttony Related Injury. I wanted some chocolate powder and the can was new. I cut myself on the 'safety' seal. Stupid sharpish metal thing. The cut is in the valley between my index finger and thumb. It hurts, but at least it has finally stopped bleeding. It probably won't leave a scar. I don't really mind scars, but my right hand already has plenty. Well, okay, it has three, but I think that is enough for a hand.

There is a scar on the top of my ring finger that has been there since I was three-ish. I tried to pick up my father's weightlifting equipment and knocked the top of my finger off. It was just kind of hanging there when I walked to my father and showed it to him. I was rushed to the hospital and given stitches. The top was saved and no harm done other than the scar and a very early memory of panic.

When I was in fourth grade, some little bastard child threw a fire ant at me. I tried to shield my face and by doing so, the ant bit into the lower knuckle of my middle finger. The scar has faded over the years, but is still visible enough to be a nice visual reminder of one of the most physically painful five seconds of my life. This is why I have a healthy fear of ants, even the little black ones.

My most recent scar is from earlier this year when we tried to do something with the cats. Rhiannon ripped up my hand in several places.  I still have scarring on the back of my hand from this, but I think it's going to fade. The scar on my thumb from the same cat protest is just about gone now. I'm glad too because I'd really rather forget that day. It was pretty scary.

Still, you know, as painful as injuries to your dominant hand can be, the worst part is the fact that it incapacitates you and just makes everything so difficult. No typing without pain. No getting your hands wet without pain . . . I don't think people realize how many times we get our hands wet every day. You certainly realize it when you have a hand wound.

Anyway, this latest cut isn't going to cause me too much trouble so I should be fine. I'm hoping by morning the sting will be gone and I can just get on with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment