Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Last Day of Glitch

Even when I woke up, I knew something was different. Like most Glitchen, morning usually filled me with a sense of happiness and purpose. But not today. Today I woke up and everything felt different. Off. My body convulsed with chills and nothing could warm me. Even standing near my fireplace couldn't keep me warm. I knew the best thing I could do go to my shrine area and seek wisdom from the Giants.

I didn't know if I would get any help here. The Giants were loving and generous, but quite often interested in people solving the riddles for themselves. This was most true of my favorite Giant, Lem. Lem knew that the best path to wisdom was, well, a path. He was a Giant of Travel and wanted us to explore the world around us. At least, that was how it usually was.
"Pssst! Hey, you! Glicthen who likes me!"

I looked up at the shrine and smiled. "Lem? Did you want something?"

"I want a lot of things, kid." His voice sounded so sad when he spoke. "But I don't think what I want matters much anymore. However, even if things are gonna happen the way I think they will, I still believe there is stuff you should see."

"I'm not sure I understand."

The shrine blessed me with some happiness and love. "I want you to put on your Lem outfit, travel in the vestments of one who is devoted to me. Then go to the lands of your ancestors. When you get there, follow the jujus back to their camp. That is the best place for you to start."

The lands of my ancestors is a hot and dry place . . . which somewhat made me question Lem's desire for me to wear his vestments. They were really hot and the helmet always made my head sweat. I wasn't sure that having a sweaty head was the best way to go on Lem's quest, but I wasn't about to disobey.

I traveled the old dirt pathways, unlocking small treasures left by the ancient Glicthen. I knew this was the best way to attract one of the little bandits called jujus. I started playing cat and mouse with one, dodging him as he attempted to steal my things, laughing at him as he grumbled at me. After a while, he lost sight of the fact that he was chasing me and realized I was chasing him. In a panic, he teleported back to his home base. Lem allowed me to follow.


The camp was simple and sparse, but retained the loveliness that one finds in all of Ur. At the far end of the camp, in the most shaded location, sat Grandmother Juju, matriarch of the tribe. 

Her rocking chair gave a low rhythmic creak as she rocked in it. Creak. Creak. Creak. It set a baseline for the faster clicking of her knitting needles. I found myself transfixed by the sound. I couldn't move and time paused for me. In the distance, I realized I could hear drums. No, not drums. Thunder. Since when did it rain in Ur?

"I see you found your way here, Child of Lem." At first, I didn't realize the old juju had spoken. I jumped out of my stupor.

"Yes, I see you there. Come closer, child. I won't harm you. Or steal from you." Grandmother Juju chuckled and I forced myself to go to her.

"Lem did send me," I began.

"Yes.  It isn't surprising he would be the first to realize. He was always a clever child. Things are changing and not changing for the better."

I shook my head. "This is Ur, Grandmother. Things always change for the better. The Giants always improve the world and dream up new lands. Ur is always better than it was the day before."

"No more, little one. No more. Go to the mounds not far from here. You will behold the first of the Ones Who have Come."

The happiness and comfort Lem had given me suddenly drained from my body. Grandmother Juju clicked her knitting needles in an odd way and I was no longer in her camp. I was back in the lands of my ancestors, walking towards one of the mounded hills that had served them as shelter from the elements. 

Bells. I could hear bells. Never in all my life as a Glitch had I heard the sound of bells in the ancestral lands. The sound was tinny and discordant. Each ring of them caused my blood to chill just a little more. I realized I'd traded sweaty for cold and clammy.  Midway up the hill, I saw a strange creature, one I'd never seen in all my travels through Ur.
"DOOOOOM!" the creature howled. "DOOM TO YOU! DOOOM TO ALL! THE GIANTS WILL BE FORCED FROM THEIR LAND OF DREAMS AND LOW THE WORLD SHALL ClOSE! THE END IS NEIGH! THE END IS NOW!"

 I didn't speak to the creature, which, with some odd insight, suddenly knew to be called a Forehorseman.  I backed away from him and teleported myself to one of my favorite places in Ur. And by this tranquil lake surrounded in shadows, I considered the Forehorseman's words. Doom to Ur. The Giants were coming.
My world was ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment