Sunday, December 30, 2012

Family in Mourning

Things continue to be sad in my little home. Alice was such a force of nature. Every time I do anything, I'm reminded of her and it hurts all over again. I know it's even worse for my roommate. It's really hard for us to focus on anything else right now. I'm not sure we even know how at the moment.

After losing my mom and then my grandmother, Alice was the first new love in my life. I'm not saying she replaced them, but she was certainly a comfort. She added brightness and joy to my life and she was part of the home and family I've made for myself. Losing her feels out of order. It was like losing a child.

You know, one of the reasons I get very offended by groups who claim to be 'pro-family' is that they usually aren't. They don't care about family in terms of the love and bonds between people. They're just interested in people conforming and living in the simple, bland little roles they find to be comfortable.

My family . . . which consists of me (crabby and sardonic old spinster), a gay man, and some cats, offends them. They would deem it as not real or not acceptable. Yeah, fuck them. I'm very happy with what I have. I feel quite loved and love very deeply in return.  This is my home and my comfort. I'm very grateful to have it. I'm also very BLESSED to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment