Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Second Stage

You know how you go through the various stages of grief when you're losing something? I think, as of tonight, I truly hit anger over the Glitch thing. Well, somewhere between anger and bafflement. I'm angry to the point of almost crying about it and I'm just completely confused about the facts being presented to me. They make me question some things and I'm not liking the answers that spring to mind.

See, I went to the Glitch forums to see if there were any updates. One of the staff members had posted that they were going to raise money on Indiegogo to pay for the production of an art book about Glitch. Out of curiosity, I clicked the link to see how they were doing. Their goal was $17,000.  They had already raised $20, 000. IN TWO HOURS.

Two hours. They had 45 days allotted to raise the money for this. In two hours, they not only met their goal, but exceeded it.

So I have to wonder, how can this game be closing, how can they claim it is not worth continuing, if they can raise that kind of money in under two hours? Do they not think their audience would be willing to support it? Do they not believe they have people who would be willing to help make it stay alive? People would put up with ads. People would put up with crap they have to click. Those who are able would probably willing to even pay for it if that is what it took to keep it alive. And clearly people would do that, as in two hours, they can get people to give them $20, 000.

So yeah, I'm rather frustrated and angry about this right now. It's like they don't even understand how much people love this game or what they are willing to do to save it. They're trading away loyalty for the chance at future profit.  Worse of all, they are destroying something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment