Friday, July 5, 2013

Avocado Heaven

Today, I made guacamole for the first time. It's not that difficult to make, of course, but it's just not something I ever got around to learning. I'm glad I did. It turned out quite well. And I would like to thank Mother Internet for all of her suggestions.

I don't know if you've ever actually used the internet as a source for recipes. In my case, this happens a lot (when I actually decide to make something), as I wasn't taught to cook by anyone and it's easier than pulling out one of the cook books. Besides, the cook book would only have one version of the recipe. With the internet, you get a variety. That helps a lot.

Take the guacamole experiment, for example. I started looking up recipes and reading them over. I discussed my findings with my roommate as I was going through them. I discounted anything that added more fats than the avocado because that seemed redundant. I saw no need for mayo or sour cream or anything like that. Well, full disclosure, at first I thought sour cream might be needed, but the more I considered it, that seemed pointless.

My roommate suggested I refine my search to ones that used canned tomatoes. He reminded me that we're not really getting a lot of tomatoes with potent taste right now, so we'd be better off and more likely to get an intense tasting tomato from one that had been canned. I saw the logic in this and altered my search.

I settled on RoTel's recipe and altered it just slightly to suit my tastes. We didn't put in as much cilantro, because I'm not all that big of a fan. We also opted for the lime juice you get in the bottle instead of a fresh lime. America's Test Kitchen taste tested this and found that for most purposes, the bottled lime juice does just as well. We already had it in the house, so it made the whole process easier.

I'm happy with the results. I ate some with chips earlier, and then some on a turkey sandwich later in the evening. I'm in the process of losing weight, so of course guacamole isn't something I can keep around all the time, but it was nice to have it as a weekend distraction. Plus, I know how to make it now. A new, tasty skill. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment