Friday, July 12, 2013

Consults and Meds

My therapist wanted to talk to my doctor about my panic attacks and anxiety issues. I agreed to let this happen and signed some paperwork. When I went to see my doctor, I told her about it and a consultation between the two of them was set up. They discussed me and my meds were adjusted as a result. I didn't get NEW meds. I now have a altered dosage on the meds I already take. It wasn't the solution I was expecting, but then again, I didn't know what to expect.

It's strange to know that people discussed your mental/emotional condition. Actually, I have a feeling this has been discussed in detail before by other people, but probably mostly just family members and friends. Knowing that two medical professionals discussed your situation is an odd thing to know. I probably shouldn't think too much about it.

That's how I try to handle most medical interactions. I do my best to divorce my ego from the event. I try to view myself as they view me. I'm a patient. They only see me as a patient. They're not judging me as the person I am. They are just making assessments on how to treat my issues.

As cold and clinical as that sounds, as impersonal as it sounds, it actually makes it easier for me. In the same way that I enjoy the slight mask of sunglasses, I love the mask that being a patient affords me. I'm not my individual self. I'm just the holder of the issue. All I have to do is go through the motions and have the issue treated.

This doesn't always work, of course. There have been moments when I let loose my fury on doctors who were being jackasses. There was one time when one was so horrible to me that I just spent the whole ride home weeping. I still want to kick that one.

For the most part though, letting go of ego helps a whole lot when the medical stuff happens. It keeps me less crazy and anxious about the process. And just think, now I have more meds to help with that as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment