Thursday, July 18, 2013

Knot Progress

I found a good set of You Tube videos over making decorative knots. I've been practicing them and shave at least a percentage point or so off of my level of sucking every time I do one. Given a couple of more months of practice, they may actually look like proper knots.

It's difficult to explain how unbelievably happy this makes me. I've always loved complex knots. The idea that I can learn to make them is very empowering. I spend my alone time dreaming about projects I want to do, gifts I want to give. I love the possibilities of it the same way I love the possibilities of the flute playing. It's nice to be producing new things. It's even better to be producing beautiful things.

Well, things that WILL be beautiful. Right now the music is still pretty godawful and every time I proudly display a knot to my roommate, his question is, "So . . . what is it supposed to be?" Gauge is always a problem for me. It took me years to learn gauge with knitting and it looks like it's going to take a while to make it happen with knots. I'll get it though . . .after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment