Sunday, October 27, 2013

Adorn the Imperious

Lou Reed died today. This breaks my heart a little. The world has lost one of the greats and I will miss him a lot. Lou Reed wasn't the world's best singer. His voice never blended well with his music. But somehow he made it work. Somehow, it was just perfect.

I'm posting my favorite of his Velvet Underground songs. One of the things I love about art is how it can inspire more art, even as it draws influence from what came before it. "Venus in Furs" was inspired by a book by the same name written by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. The song would go on to inspire so much music to follow.

When I first heard this song, I was in college. Later than it should have been, admittedly, but in a way, that was amazing for me, because I new I was hearing the genesis of so much of the music that I loved. Snags of guitar riffs, discordant chaos weaving into something beautiful, even Lou's sexy little laugh, all of it became the foundation for so many songs to follow.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Reed. You will be very missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment