Friday, October 25, 2013

Zombie Project Update

I should get to make zombie heads for a living. I've had so much fun in the last week! Every day, I work on Headward and then take pictures. I review the pics at night to see what needs to be changed.

There is a lot of stuff I will do differently next time. I will cover the whole head with at least a layer of cotton in order to have a smoother, more realistic surface for painting. As it is now, I have a lot of styrofoam bits that refuse to be covered, no matter how many times I paint them.  I'll also work in washes instead of any outright painting. Washing blends better and it's more forgiving. It also lends itself to the realism. You know, as much as zombies can be real.

A lot of these choices are things you can see in the neck portion of the picture. The flesh part is all covered in cotton and has layers of color washed over it. It gives off a more puckered, mottled appearance, which is what I really wanted with my zombie. The next head will have that technique used all over.

I think the best thing I did was taking pictures on each day. Not only did it let me document my work, it also gave me a way to review what I was doing without looking at the actual head. It helps me to notice things I didn't notice while it was in my hand. For instance, I need to move one, possibly two of his teeth. They're a bit to far into the side of his mouth.

Still, flaws aside, mistakes aside, I have had so much fun with this! It's been one of the funnest things I've done all year and I hope to do more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment