Thursday, October 10, 2013

Holiday Minimalist Decorating

Yesterday I was looking for something in one of my storage drawers and happened upon a Halloween witch head Pez dispenser. I picked it up and grinned for a moment, then took it into the living room and placed it on the mantle above the fireplace.  It looked adorable.

This evening, my roommate asked me where I found it and I basically told him what I just told you, adding that as it was Halloween season, we should have some manner of decoration, even if it was something as minimal as one Pez toy. He smiled and went into his room, only to return a few moments later with a fat black cat plushie. Said cat is wearing an orange scarf and orange leg warmers, giving it a nice Halloween feel. Now we have TWO bits of decoration!

This idea is quite charming to me. I love the idea of having just small things to celebrate the season. One, perhaps two or three items that given joy and foundation to whatever happens to be going on at the moment. Because we have cats, it also helps that both items on display are fairly difficult to kill.

I'm not sure that this will become a trend, but I hope it does. I'd like to keep just a small grouping (or perhaps just one thing) on display during the holiday season. It's minimal, yes, but it also makes me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment