Thursday, June 11, 2015

Owning You

There is a trend going around of girls not shaving their armpits and it's freaking everyone out. People will show the link to the article and tons of people (most of them women) will type "GROSS" in Caps Lock and talk about how horrible this is. Some of these posts would have 40 or 50 comments, almost all negative.

I have to admit, at one time, I was like this. When I was younger, I freaked out when I saw that my favorite singer had armpit hair.  I would cringe at her videos. Though, after a while, I realized it had stopped bothering me. It was just part of her. In fact, I started noticing that a lot of the women I viewed as the 'cool girls' rarely shaved.

As I've grown older, I've kind of reached this point where I find it annoying that in order to be 'acceptable,' women are supposed to alter things about their body, things their bodies do naturally, and just look like all the other hairless women. This is especially disturbing in a culture that celebrates and basically fetishizes men's beards. We praise men for a thick beard and compliment them on the uniqueness of it. But when it comes to women, ohh no. No hair unless it's on your head. Otherwise, you'd better just look like a smooth little doll.

Look, if you want to shave, that's fine with me. If you don't want to shave, that's also fine with me. And really, in either case, it doesn't matter how I feel about it because what you do with your body and its hairs are none of my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment