Sunday, January 31, 2016

Original Things

My roommate and I were talking the other day about some program he'd seen and he mentioned he would have actually liked it a lot more had it been an original story and not some bad imitation of a an already established genre. I found myself in agreement because that seems to be the case with a lot of things lately. Too much of what is presented to us for entertainment is, basically,  the same stories we've already been told.

Someone asked me if I was excited about seeing Deadpool. I'm not. It isn't that I don't like Deadpool. I do. I'm just not into watching another origin story about another comic book character. I used to find comic book characters being shown in other media to be amusing, but I'm starting to get sick of it. Tell new stories. Give us new characters. Do we really need DC characters in several different stations?

I think it's time, past time really, for original stories to be told again. And yes, I realize that most stories have tropes and elements of older stories, but it doesn't have to be THE same characters every time. Why do they have to turn Shaggy into a hipster for a new Scooby Doo comic book? Why not write about some hipster going about his hipstery adventures without trying to shoehorn Shaggy into it?

I wish we'd all have a little more faith in our own ability to weave a good tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment