Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Ugly and Unapproachable

I started listening to Art Angels by Grimes last night and I'm now obsessing over it. Okay, I am usually obsessing over music. I've been obsessing over Hamilton for a while now, but Art Angels is the new obsession. I know it's deep in my veins too because when I woke up this morning, all I wanted to do was start listening to the album again.

One of the things I love about it is that it has a lot of pop elements that have been turned on their heads. Much of the album is a bit unapproachable and sometimes, it truly is downright ugly. The thing is, to me, that makes it feel even more real.  The really great thing is that even in the moments where it feels the most out there, it can pull in these beautiful moments. Sometimes just a second or two, a perfect note that just makes your soul FEEL so much. Ahh, it's glorious.

To me, that is always the most wonderful thing about the ugly and the unapproachable. Beauty and perfection can get so boring. After all, if you highlight everything, you highlight nothing. When there is a contrast to something else, the blips of the beautiful become so pronounced. In that way, the imperfection becomes the proper compliment to the beauty and helps it to transcend. This album does that so well.

This is a great find for me, a good day because of the music. I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment