Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Fire Musings

Today was my first day of having therapy on Tuesdays. We're both hoping this works out better, as Mondays tended to cause problems. I'm not really crazy about the time (noon) but that may change as summer hits. We covered a lot in this session, though mainly the focus came back to burning houses.

My family has a THING for living in houses that eventually burn. Both houses I spent my under-10 years in are now burned. Two of the places where my brother has lived have burned. Oh, and the house they put on the land to replace the first house my mother lost also burned. There is a trailer there now and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it burns as well.

Do I think there is a mystical connection to this? Perhaps. There are plenty of logical reasons why they keep burning too. There are a lot of evil arsonists in that area, for one  thing. For another, poor people tend to have to neglect a lot of stuff about their houses, like general maintenance and electrical issues.

Still, I can't escape the fact that one of my earliest memories is my mother telling me about dreams she would have about burning houses. It was an ongoing theme with her, and this was way before any of them did burn. Every time one of these fires happens, I always think about that memory. I think it was the first time that I ever felt disquiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment