Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tony Nod

Hamilton was nominated for 16 Tony awards. That breaks the record for nominations and I couldn't be happier. I would also like to note that this the first year I have ever cared about Tony nominations. One more thing Miranda has made me care about.

I'm not trying to be flippant or willfully ignorant with that statement. It isn't that I don't like theater. I very much do. However, being from Oklahoma and poor, I have always felt very removed from the Tony awards and what they represented. It felt like I had no right to an opinion. Now, I'm so invested emotionally in Hamilton that I felt I did.

I think that's one of the real legacies of Hamilton. It feels like everyone's musical. It feels like it's open to all of us, welcoming to all of us, and there for all of us. It feels like each person who listens to it and watches it can understand that this truly is their story. I think it's one of the reasons why Hamilton is so popular.

Congratulations, LMM! Well done! I hope you win every Tony you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment