Sunday, July 31, 2016

Embracing the Problem

When I worked on the last baby blanket, it ended up curling on me. I found this really frustrating and disheartening, though my roommate and I both read enough to realize it was just the nature of the technique I was using. Today I read another article about it that explained in even greater detail why it happens and offered some suggestions for dealing with it, not fixing it exactly but dealing with it.

While I found the ideas about working around it to be very helpful, the point that stuck with me the most is how some people just embrace the curling. They use it as a design point, sometimes making the parts they know will curl into a different color and just letting it be what it is.

This certainly won't work for every project, but for hats and some parts of clothing, it would. I really love this idea because so often when we make things, the very nature of the fact that we're human causes small slips and broken areas. These are also the things that add uniqueness to the work. I've talked before about how these elements are often my favorites and using the curling thing as a design point really appeals to me. Someone will be getting a hat soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment