Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Slap

We worked really hard to make sure all the food was out of Dying Fridge. We shoved things into the freezer and into the little fridge until nothing else would fit. My roommate had to down some salsa. I don't think he minded. We knew it wouldn't be long that we had to deal with this. The new fridge was supposed to show up  this afternoon. Expect it didn't, because, of course not.  Nothing this Suctober is that easy.

A year ago today, I blogged about poverty. Not my own, mind you, but poverty in general and how things that are annoying for affluent people can be devastating for poor people.  It's funny how a year ago I was writing about this and this year I'm living through it.

I've written a lot about the gas/fridge debacle and how rough it's being on me financially. I'm sure you've also gotten a sense of how this has been on me emotionally. You know, after getting the newer car, I had this sense things were looking up. I felt positive about my life. Moreover, and this is the kicker, I felt a bit of security.

Money isn't everything. This is a common saying. And I'm sure the person who said it was thinking of Scrooge McDuck wallowing in his gold coins . . . or something like that. Money may not be everything, but food, water, shelter, and a sense of security are pretty fundamental needs. Our level of money is tied quite closely to all of these.

Now that sense of security is gone. If something else major breaks, I really have no idea how it will be fixed. I honestly doubt it will be. We'll just have to do what we can to continue on without it. If it's something not necessary  like the TV, then that will be frustrating, but not difficult. If it's something like a piece of large plumbing . . . well, right now, I just have no idea what I'll do.

That concept of not knowing is a little terrifying. To keep myself sane, I'll do my best to not think about it. It's there . . . it's the slap in the dark. I know it's coming, I just have no idea when.

No comments:

Post a Comment