Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Synergistic Order and Chaos

Today was a day of order, chaos, randomness, and moments when things folded together. We started the morning by paying bills, doing our little rounds through the downtown. More shops are leaving downtown and we both think it would be cool if they restored the residential living areas above the stores and turned the shop levels into things to support that much residents. A small grocery, a cafe, etc. It would be cool to see a rather metro area in our little town.

When we arrived home, the house was still in a state of chaos. We ate in the chaos and talked about what would happen next.  Then the cleaning began. Trash was removed, the last final bits put into place, sweeping and vacuuming and dusting.  At some point, the chaotic room righted itself and became this new space.  It's so organized and clean that it doesn't even feel like any place I would live. Oh, but I do!

I had to witness and smell a very nasty infection on an animal today.  The infection is being treated and taken care of, but it's still deeply gross.  It was truly one of the worst things I've ever smelled in my life. Smelling and looking at it was bad. Far, far worse was having it land on you when the animal shook its head. This is me shuttering in revulsion.  At least the poor thing is on the mend.

Quite unexpectedly, I received some news I've been wanting to receive for some time now. I had no idea I would get my answer today.  As the answer was what I wanted it to be, I'm thrilled. I keep thinking about it and smiling. It truly is like a weight has been lifted from me. When I was reading the letter, I almost felt like I was floating. It's one of those moments I want to keep with me.

When we cleaned off the mantel, we put my grandfather's wind up clock back on it.   Since he died, it's been in storage because it wouldn't work anymore. Today, out of the blue, it began to work again.  The problem is, it's not working correctly. It ticks, but kind of fast. Actually, it ticks like it's on meth.  Because of this, the hours arrive early and incorrectly. It's annoying, but also absurdly funny. Every time it chimes, we start laughing because we have no idea how to fix the damned thing.

It's been a very productive day. It's also been a very life-altering day.  I'm glad it happened.  And now the clock is about to strike 8 . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment