Sunday, November 17, 2013

Lack of Participation

I think I want to begin my discussion of various Thanksgiving things by talking about this year. As a little background, every year, my dad's side of the family gathers at my cousin's house for the holiday. I usually ride with my brother and his family. My dad and his wife show up. We also have my aunt and her husband. Sometimes one or two of her friends are there. Unless my grandfather and his wife are warring with someone in the family (which happens more often than you would think), they show up as well. My cousin, who has the shindig, has a husband and three children.

As I have mentioned before, my dad's side of the family really isn't social. We really pretty much only see each other on holidays and then only ones where food and gifts are involved. We're just not that close. Too many weird levels of temper and craziness.

This year, my brother and his family are going to Ohio to see my SIL's family who have had to move up there. This left me in a bind because, as I said, I usually ride with them. Back before I got on medication that wonks out my driving, this wouldn't have been a problem. Now it is.

My roommate suggested taking me overe there and chilling out in FS. I wasn't keen on the idea because it meant I would have to be there for longer than I really wanted to be. He also suggested that he could just go with me and participate in the meal. The thing is, I like my roommate and don't really want him having to deal with the aforementioned levels of temper and crazy.

So last Monday I called my dad to ask him when said festivities would be starting. He informs me that Thanksgiving falls on my stepmother's birthday, and as a reward, he would be taking her to see her family for Thanksgiving and not making her deal with....well, you know. temper and craziness.

"Oh," I said over the phone. "So if you're not going and my brother's family isn't going, I really don't see any point in me being the sole representative of this side of things." My dad agreed that would be for the best and no one would be upset.

I would love to tell you that I'm really disappointed in my traditional holiday plans being changed . . . but I'm NOT! It's actually almost a little sad how much happiness washed through my body whenever I found out I didn't have to go anywhere on Thanksgiving. It was a rush of pure, unbridled joy. And that isn't saying I hate my family. I don't. It's just saying that they're stressful and loud and I really am excited about the idea of not seeing them!

So yes, folks, this is my heartwarming story for the Thanksgiving holiday. I don't have to see my family. Squeeee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment