Wednesday, November 13, 2013

New Project

I had five billion different colors of yarn in front of me. The only way I could manage to make it less confusing was to move the green bits underneath the thing I wanted to show, which is the eyeball. I'm working on a new project and it's proving to be difficult, you know, like all my other projects. Still, it's also quite fun. I'm enjoying the challenge. Plus, I get to make eyeballs.

The project is a crochet one. It's been a while since I worked any crocheting, at least, any that was the main thrust of what I was doing. It's taken a while to really get back into the grove of it. The thing about my crocheting is that I never really learned in a formal way. All my techniques were things that I assumed they meant whenever they would describe something. Because of that, I'm having to unlearn a lot of stuff and relearn to do it the right way.

Though, knitting has taught me a lot of good things that are working into the crocheting. For one thing, I am very much aware of what both hands are doing at all times. My left hand is doing more than just keeping tension. It's also guiding yarn into the right place and making sure things do as they are told. I'm also better with my counting. When I used to crochet, I would never count anything, which resulted in some very wonkfested afghans. Knitting forced me to discipline myself to counting and double checking my work. I still make mistakes, but far less than I used to.

Yet, even despite all these advances in skill levels, I've still started the damned hat over like six times now. It's been a series of fixing mistakes and trying again and again to get it right. Right now I'm at an impasse with black yarn. I need two rows of it and all the yarn I have is too big and stretching everything out. That should be corrected tomorrow though.

I'll keep you informed on the project's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment